|A Château, nr. Sancerre, France.|
|A BEAUTIFUL CHATEAU WITH ORIGINS DATING BACK TO THE C14th, SITUATED IN THE HEART OF A SUPERB ESTATE OF 52 ACRES / 21 HECTARES.
The estate is in a peaceful rural setting about 15km from Sancerre.
The oldest known Seigneurs of the Château were the Livron family. In 1170, Pierre de Livron built a chapel dedicated to St Clair.
The La Porte family owned the Château from the beginning of the C14th until 1639, when it was acquired by Jean de Guibert. The entrance gates, monumental fireplaces, and the south-east facing wing date from this time.
The last Seigneur was Armand Jacques de Chastenet de Puységur (1751-1825), who sold the property to Etienne Boin. In 1821 he built the chapel at the entrance to the estate.
In 1835 the estate was aquired by the widow of Colonel Collard, who was created a Knight of the Legion d'Honeur by Napoleon I. His son, Jean Baptiste, took part in the battle of Castelfidardo in 1860 and was given the title of Count by the Pope as a gesture of gratitude.
The estate remained in the family until 1994.
The Château is approached along a drive over a stone bridge, passing through gates into a Cour D'Honneur (a 3-sided courtyard).
MAIN ENTRANCE: grey stone tiled floor with black inlays, wood panelling to 2/3 of the height, oak staircase leading to the first floor. WC with wash-basin. 3 doors lead into 3 lounges:
The Red Lounge – light oak point de Hongrie (herring-bone parquet) floor, white marble fireplace, 2 south-facing windows, east-facing french windows with balcony.
Anti-Bedroom: light oak point de Hongrie parquet floor, french windows onto the balcony overlooking the maze, double glass door toward:
The Lounge of Dreams: wood panelling, dark oak parquet flooring, 2 east-facing french windows onto balcony overlooking the maze, french painted ceiling with 6 frescoes representing the dreams.
|The Grand Salon (Grand Lounge): appr. 90m², old terra cotta tiled floor, french windows overlooking the maze, 2 north-facing windows, a beautiful stone fireplace, french windows looking onto the courtyard, french ceiling, 2 doors leading to the kitchen, of which one door has a Renaissance stone frame.
The Kitchen: huge stone fireplace, stone floor, old potager (kitchen stove; the grills are missing), bread oven. Pantry in the Tower, terra cotta tiled floor, old stone sink.
From the kitchen:
Laundry-room, door to the exterior. After the kitchen, a Landing, door to the courtyard and access to the cellars.
A stone staircase to the first floor.
From the staircase, a long landing with boarded floor leads to:
A very large bathroom with fireplace, an east-facing and south-facing window, 2 wash-basins, a clawfoot bathtub and wc in the tower.
Storage Room, numerous cupboards, east-facing window. A door leads to a 2nd landing with a west-facing window onto the courtyard.
Bedroom 1 with boarded floor, 2 east-facing windows, stone fireplace.
|From the landing a corridor leads to:
Library-Office: stone fireplace à bandeau (with plain moulding), 2 east-facing windows.
Dressing-Room with numerous cupboards, north-facing window.
Bedroom 2 with boarded floor, stone fireplace à bandeau with pier-glass, a pretty mirror, north-facing window, communicating door to the dressing-room.
Bedroom 3 with boarded floor, stone fireplace, trompe l'oeiil wall-painting representing draped material, north-facing window, large fitted cupboard.
Bedroom 4 in the tower, 3 windows facing north, east and west.
Returning to the stone staircase, one finds:
Bathroom 5 with stone tiled floor, attractive wash-cabinet with polished stone top, Italian shower, mosaïc.
From this staircase, one accesses:
A separate wing comprising the following:
A Large Sitting-Room, monumental Renaissance stone fireplace, magnificent old terra cotta tiled floor, wood panelling.
From this room one comes to a part of the house that has not been fully restored.
A Summer Room adjoined by a little Arched Room, small marble fireplace, 4/5 rooms in need of restoration which could serve suitably as a separate accomodation. Accessible from the courtyard by a flight of stone steps and a stone staircase.
The same staircase leads further up to:
A Large Living-Room, french ceilings, Renaissance stone fireplace and 2 Further Rooms, attractive door with glass pannels.
Various Store-Houses and Servants' Quarters, mostly floored with old terra cotta tiling, beautiful timber-work.
In the tower, a very attractive Room with white marble fireplace. The tower possesses 2 further floors accessed by a lovely wooden staircase.
The Ancient Chapel, which has been restored.
A large Garage.
ESTATE MANAGER'S OFFICE:
Dove-Cote, a very pretty tower which has been restored.
Ancient Stables, old wooden horse-boxes.
An open Garage, stone floor.
All the outbuildings have new or restored roofs.
To the north, a large walled area enclosing various farm buildings or dwellings, which are currently in the process of being restored.
Entirely restored and very comfortable, it comprises:
A Kitchen, black stone floor.
A Dining-Room, parquet flooring.
A Small Lounge, parquet flooring.
A Main Lounge, parquet flooring.
First Floor (with exposed beams):
A Bedroom with Bathroom.
2 Further Bedrooms with a separate Bathroom.
|GARDENS & GROUNDS:
The estate totals 52 acres / 21 hectares, of which around 20 acres / 8 hectares are of landscaped parkland crossed by a river.
The park is of Romantic style, its design dating back to the 19th Century. However, 2 important elements indicate the existence of a traditional french park created at the end of the 17th Century - an avenue of tricentenary box-trees and the river which once formed a canal with stone banks.
|The presence of springs and the richness of flora and fauna quickly convinced the proprietors to adopt the most natural approach possible to the management of the land.
It was chosen not to have traditional lawns in order to avoid a demanding monoculture of fertilizers and herbicides. The meadows, like the lawns surrounding the Château, consist of graminaceous and self-sown plants, the maintenance of which relies solely on regular mowing.
Since 2008, in collaboration with the landscape designer Benoit de Choulot, a great number of trees of botanical or aesthetic interest have been planted. All bear a plaque to identify them, as do the beautiful centenary trees we call 'the venerables'. A maze has been planted with more than 900 feet of yoke-elms opposite the Château.
|CONDITION AND OBSERVATIONS:
• The whole is in very good state of repair.
• Numerous roofing and carpentry works have been carried out.
• The heating has been entirely replaced, including that in the 2 Renaissance lounges.
• Large fonte stone radiators throughout.
• Windows have been entirely restored with double glazing in frames in the style of the period.
• Some interior renovations remain to be done.
• Alarm system.
• Smoke detectors.
• Water mains, water from wells.
• Wiring partially renewed.
Below is a plan of the estate. Click on the image to enlarge.
|For sale freehold by private treaty.
Viewing by appointment only.
Guide price: 2,200,000 Euros
For further information, or to view the property, please phone or email William Montgomery's office, as follows:
Office: +44 (0)28 4278 8666
Mobile: +44 (0) 7967 347965
Grey Abbey Estate Office,
Northern Ireland BT22 2QA.
Also in accosiation with:
Campagnes du Soleil,
10 Bd du Pecher,